Eire is a land of enchanting landscapes and fascinating folklore. Its attract lies in its seamless mix of historical past and pure wonders.
From majestic cliffs and mountains to lush inexperienced valleys, we’ll discover the varied pure wonders of this enchanting nation. Be taught the secrets and techniques behind its verdant hue and unravel why Eire beckons vacationers from throughout the globe to witness its breathtaking magnificence firsthand.
On this publish, I’ll describe the varied Eire landscapes, together with how they had been fashioned or some enjoyable details, and let you know precisely the place to go in Eire to see them. That is all primarily based on my quite a few journeys to Eire and the small group climbing excursions I provide there.
What Form of Landscapes Does Eire Have?
As you’ll see, the Eire panorama is different. There are numerous causes to fall in love with Eire – and views like these are solely the tip of the iceberg.
- Inexperienced Countryside
- Cliffs and Coastlines
- Historic Bogs
- Lakes and Rivers
- Forests and Woodlands
- Historic Castles
- Empty Sandy Seashores
- Karst Panorama
Welcome to a scenic journey by means of the fascinating world of Eire’s landscapes!
Eire is known for its lush inexperienced countryside, with rolling hills, meadows, and pastoral landscapes. Agriculture has been a major a part of Eire’s economic system and tradition for hundreds of years, and elevating livestock and cultivating crops has led to the upkeep of its lush inexperienced fields and pastures.
These visiting Eire could marvel why Eire is SO inexperienced. The quick reply is Eire experiences considerable rainfall because of its geographical location, proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, prevailing westerly winds, mountainous terrain, and temperate maritime local weather.
All these components mixed create the long-lasting picture of Eire’s rolling inexperienced hills and verdant landscapes, incomes it the nickname “The Emerald Isle.” The nation’s pure magnificence, marked by its inexperienced surroundings, has develop into one in all its most celebrated and enchanting options, attracting guests from everywhere in the world.
Greatest Locations to See Rolling Hills in Eire
Boyne Valley in County Meath is the proper place for fields and hills of inexperienced! And proper within the coronary heart of the Boyne Valley is Rock Farm. That is one in all my favourite locations to go to rural inexperienced landscapes.
It’s a bit off-the-beaten-path, which can also be most likely why I find it irresistible! Situated on the outskirts of the village of Slane, you’ll discover this lovely property that may be a massive natural farm and a glamping web site. The glamping yurts are nestled amongst sycamore, oak, ash, chestnut, and hawthorn bushes, forming pure enclosures across the yurts and shepherd’s huts. This grove is surrounded by an undulating wild inexperienced meadow with an open inexperienced flat pasture beneath perched on a ledge of inexperienced land overlooking the turrets of the notorious Slane Fort. You’ll be on inexperienced overload!
Moreover, you are able to do a farm tour and benefit from the native farmers markets on the farm.
Killarney Nationwide Park is a inexperienced paradise! The Nationwide Park presents all kinds of choices for strolling, from lake and wooded walks to mountains and hikes to waterfalls within the woods. You can too go to the close by Muckross Home, its gardens, and an previous deserted abbey close by. The Nineteenth-century home and landscaped gardens are a nationwide treasure and to not be missed.
Referred to as the “Backyard of Eire,” County Wicklow is a haven of rolling inexperienced hills, forests, and glens, with sights like Glendalough and the Wicklow Mountains.
Cliffs and Coastlines
The nation’s rugged coastlines are adorned with towering cliffs providing breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Eire’s cliffs and coastlines had been fashioned over hundreds of thousands of years by means of varied geological processes, like erosion, glaciers, faulting and uplift, historical volcanic exercise, sedimentation, and karst processes.
Greatest Cliffs and Coastlines to See in Eire
Maybe probably the most iconic landmark in Eire is the Cliffs of Moher. It rises dramatically from the Atlantic Ocean reaching heights of as much as 214 meters (702 ft) and presents unparalleled views of the ocean and the Aran Islands.
Nonetheless, iconic landmarks imply a number of crowds. The best way to experience the Cliffs of Moher whereas getting away from the crowds is to go for sundown and do the climbing path alongside the cliffs. This path is a part of the Burren Method. Additionally, observe that you will need to pay a charge to park and consider the Cliffs of Moher.
One other of probably the most well-known of Eire’s landscapes, the Big’s Causeway in County Antrim, Northern Eire, is an instance of historical volcanic exercise.
The lesser-known Slieve League cliffs are among the many highest sea cliffs in Europe, standing at roughly 601 meters (1,972 ft), offering awe-inspiring vistas of the Atlantic Ocean.
Slea Head Drive in County Kerry presents beautiful views of coastal cliffs, golden seashores, and the Blasket Islands, making it a must-visit location on the Dingle Peninsula.
Outdated Head of Kinsale in County Cork. Situated on the southern tip of Eire, this rugged headland boasts fascinating coastal cliffs and panoramic views of the Celtic Sea.
One among my favourite cliff viewpoints in Eire is alongside the Ring of Kerry. The Kerry cliffs close to the tiny village of Portmagee stand over 1000 ft above the wild Atlantic and had been fashioned in a desert surroundings 400 million years in the past. There’s a pleasant path out to the viewpoints (search for the lamas alongside the trail!) the place you possibly can sit and benefit from the view, the highly effective waves beneath, and fowl watching. There’s a small charge to go to the Kerry Cliffs.
Lastly, you possibly can’t beat Downpatrick Head in County Mayo. It’s situated close to Ballycastle village alongside the Wild Atlantic Method. Right here, you’ll discover the standard dramatic cliffs and crashing sea – in addition to a sea stack (‘Dun Briste’) that was thought to have damaged away from the mainland in 1393. On the sight, you’ll additionally discover a statue of Saint Patrick and a small stone constructing, used as a lookout publish in the course of the Second World Battle with its stone aerial markers: EIRE 64.
Historic Peat Bogs
Eire is residence to in depth peat bogs, preserved over 1000’s of years and contributing to its distinctive ecological panorama. Peat bogs are partially decomposed plant matter and are prevalent in sure areas, including to the richness of the panorama.
When visiting peat bogs, respecting these delicate ecosystems and following any pointers or restrictions to protect their magnificence and ecological significance is important.
Eire’s bogs are greater than only a distinctive panorama; it’s additionally a panorama that preserves issues – like butter. One widespread concept is that meals was buried in bogs to hinder spoilage. Being cool, low oxygen, and extremely acidic environments, peat bogs have wonderful preservative properties. Along with lavatory butter, they’ve additionally discovered splendidly preserved our bodies in historical peat bogs! These are on show on the Nationwide Museum of Eire.
It’s additionally good to know that bogs are protected habitats underneath European and Irish Legislation. Intact bogs, actively forming peat, play an vital position in combating local weather change by eradicating extra carbon dioxide from the air and putting it into long-term storage for 1000’s of years. The Irish lavatory panorama is fascinating, isn’t it?
Greatest Locations to See Peat Bogs in Eire
- The Burren, County Clare: Moreover its distinctive karst panorama, the Burren can also be residence to some small peat bogs, including to the realm’s ecological variety.
- Connemara, County Galway: The boglands of Connemara, notably within the western a part of the area, provide an opportunity to see peat bogs amidst the rugged landscapes.
- County Offaly: The Lavatory of Allen, situated in County Offaly, is one in all Eire’s largest peat bogs and is an important a part of the Midlands area.
- County Roscommon: The Curlew Mountains in County Roscommon are identified for his or her scenic peat bogs.
- County Donegal: A number of areas in Donegal, such because the Derryveagh Mountains and the Glendowan Mountains, are residence to peat bogs.
- The Ox Mountains, County Sligo: This vary in County Sligo has some peat bogs interspersed with the mountainous terrain.
- County Kerry: The Slieve Mish Mountains additionally characteristic peat bogs amidst their scenic landscapes.
The nation options a number of mountain ranges, together with the Wicklow Mountains, the Galtee Mountains, and the Mourne Mountains, providing wonderful climbing alternatives and beautiful vistas.
Whereas not as imposing as different mountain ranges, Eire’s mountains provide an opportunity to discover the nation’s wonderful landscapes. Whether or not you’re an skilled hiker or in search of incredible views, these mountainous areas in Eire have a lot to supply.
In order for you an actual mountain problem, try Croagh Patrick in County Mayo. Nicknamed ‘the Reek,’ Croagh Patrick is 2,507 ft and an vital pilgrimage web site for the Irish. It has a pyramid form that overlooks Clew Bay close to Westport. Some could say it appears menacing on a transparent day, however it’s properly well worth the difficult hike!
It additionally has a captivating historical past related to Saint Patrick, who is claimed to have spent forty days fasting on the summit. You’ll discover a statue of him on the base of the hike. You’ll discover a small church on the summit for individuals who make it to the highest. Croagh Patrick is climbed by 1000’s of pilgrims yearly.
Greatest Locations to See Mountains in Eire
- Mourne Mountains, County Down: Situated in Northern Eire, the Mourne Mountains are identified for his or her granite peaks, together with Slieve Donard, the best mountain in Northern Eire.
- Wicklow Mountains, County Wicklow: These scenic mountains (usually referred to as the Backyard of Eire) are near Dublin and provide wonderful climbing alternatives with panoramic views of the encompassing countryside. The Wicklow Way is a multi-day hiking trail you possibly can take by means of the mountains.
- MacGillycuddy’s Reeks, County Kerry: This mountain vary contains Eire’s highest peak, Carrauntoohil, and presents dramatic landscapes and difficult hikes.
- Connemara, County Galway: The Twelve Bens mountain vary in Connemara presents rugged magnificence and is a favourite vacation spot for hikers and nature fanatics.
- Slieve Bloom Mountains, Counties Laois, and Offaly: These mild mountains are perfect for leisurely walks and showcase rolling inexperienced hills and forests.
- Dingle Peninsula, County Kerry: This peninsula options the Slieve Mish Mountains and presents beautiful coastal and mountain views.
- Achill Island, County Mayo: This island options the Slievemore and Croaghaun mountains, offering breathtaking coastal and mountain vistas.
Lakes and Rivers
Eire’s picturesque lakes, comparable to Lough Neagh (Eire’s largest lake) and Lough Corrib, together with meandering rivers just like the River Shannon, add to the nation’s scenic attract. Get pleasure from varied leisure actions like boating, kayaking, and stand-up paddle boarding in serene and picturesque settings if you go to lakes and rivers in Eire.
I really like the Killarney Lakes area in County Kerry. Lough Leane, Muckross Lake, and Higher Lake are collectively generally known as the Killarney Lakes and provide beautiful views in Killarney Nationwide Park. Be sure to don’t miss Torc Waterfall in Killarney Nationwide Park!
Lough Leane is close to the Muckross Home and Ross Fort – providing a stunning setting for a day stroll by means of nature and Irish historical past.
I recommend you do a kayaking journey on the lakes the place you possibly can paddle by means of untouched islands, hidden caves, historical oak and yew woods, and excessive limestone cliffs. It’s the easiest way to actually see the lakes.
Greatest Locations to See Lakes and Rivers in Eire
- Lough Corrib, County Galway: That is the biggest lake within the Republic of Eire, providing picturesque surroundings, boating alternatives, and close by historic websites like Ashford Fort.
- Lough Derg, County Clare/Tipperary/Galway: This expansive lake alongside the River Shannon gives beautiful views, fishing spots, and a tranquil surroundings.
- The River Shannon: Eire’s longest river flows by means of a number of counties, providing alternatives for river cruises, water-based actions, and scenic walks alongside its banks.
- Lough Neagh, County Antrim: The most important lake on the island of Eire, Lough Neagh is in Northern Eire and presents birdwatching, fishing, and scenic walks.
- Lough Gill, County Sligo: Surrounded by picturesque landscapes, Lough Gill is famend for its magnificence and connections to W.B. Yeats.
- The River Boyne: This historic river flows by means of County Meath and is related to historical websites just like the Hill of Tara and the Newgrange passage tomb.
- The River Nore: Flowing by means of Kilkenny and neighboring counties, the River Nore presents scenic spots for strolling and kayaking.
- Lough Ree, County Westmeath: A part of the River Shannon system, Lough Ree gives boating and water sports activities alternatives.
- The River Moy, County Mayo: The principle channel is 62 miles lengthy and enters the ocean on the city of Ballina. It stretches from the Ox Mountains within the east to Castlebar within the south and Loughs Conn, Cullin, and the Nephin Beg vary of mountains in north Mayo.
Forests and Woodlands
Eire is dotted with charming woodlands and forests that present a tranquil escape and alternatives for leisurely walks amongst wonderful landscapes.
One factor distinctive to Eire’s forests is the Fairy Bushes. A part of the Irish folklore, these bushes are believed to be residence to magical creatures and function the gateway between worlds for mortals and that of the fairies within the different world. Fairy bushes are usually Hawthorn bushes or Ash bushes. Nonetheless, not all Hawthorn or Ash bushes are fairy bushes. A Fairy tree sometimes stands alone in a discipline, usually is surrounded by a hoop of stones, and has little strips of material tied on the branches that signify needs. No matter whether or not the locals imagine in fairies or not, nobody will reduce down a fairy tree for concern of unhealthy luck.
As well as, hold your eyes peeled for miniature properties within the forests. These little ‘wee folks’ villages in forests round Eire are cute and sacred.
Greatest Locations to See Forests and Woodlands in Eire
- Glendalough, County Wicklow: Situated throughout the Wicklow Mountains Nationwide Park, Glendalough’s historical oak and beech woodlands encompass the picturesque lakes, making a serene and mystical setting.
- Killarney Nationwide Park, County Kerry: This expansive park options woodlands, lakes, and mountains, together with the well-known Muckross Home and the enchanting Oakwood forest.
- Glenveagh Nationwide Park, County Donegal: Glenveagh’s numerous panorama contains wooded valleys, pristine lakes, and the huge Derryveagh Mountains, providing a peaceable escape within the northwest of Eire.
- Coole Park, County Galway: As soon as the house of Girl Gregory and a gathering place for famend literary figures like Yeats and Shaw, Coole Park boasts lovely woodlands and gardens.
- The Slieve Bloom Mountains, Counties Laois and Offaly: This vary options historical woodlands with oak, birch, and pine bushes, making it an excellent spot for climbing and exploring.
- The Curragh, County Kildare: Referred to as Eire’s oldest oak woodland, the Curragh is steeped in historical past and gives a tranquil retreat close to Dublin.
- Powerscourt Property, County Wicklow: The Powerscourt Gardens embody the Powerscourt Waterfall and scenic woodlands, providing a pleasant day journey from Dublin.
- The Gougane Barra Forest Park, County Cork: Nestled in scenic mountains, this park options woodland trails, a surprising lake, and an enthralling chapel on an island.
- Don’t miss probably the most well-known fairy tree on the Hill of Tara in County Meath. The magic right here is historical, going way back to the Neolithic occasions. This was a sacred place of abode for the gods and an entrance to the Otherworld the place wee of us and legendary creatures roamed freely.
Lastly, many landscapes are graced with the remnants of historical castles, including a contact of historical past to the magnificent surroundings. The nation’s wealthy historical past is woven with historical tales of Celtic mythology and centuries of cultural heritage. Evident in its historic castles and medieval ruins dotting the Irish landscapes.
The nation’s castles inform tales of its previous, and visiting them allows you to step again in time. Whether or not you’re occupied with medieval structure, royal heritage, or fascinating tales from the previous, these castles provide an unforgettable glimpse into the historical past and Eire’s cultural legacy.
Greatest Locations to See Historic Castles in Eire
- Blarney Fort, County Cork: Well-known for the Blarney Stone, this medieval fortress presents beautiful gardens and panoramic views of the encompassing countryside.
- Dublin Fort, Dublin: Situated within the coronary heart of Dublin, this fortress has been the middle of the Irish authorities for hundreds of years and is wealthy in historical past.
- Bunratty Fort, County Clare: This well-preserved medieval fortress hosts folks park occasions and medieval banquets, offering an immersive historic expertise.
- Kilkenny Fort, County Kilkenny: A hanging image of Norman affect, Kilkenny Fort’s in depth gardens, and splendid interiors make it a must-visit.
- Kylemore Abbey, County Galway: Initially constructed as a fortress, this beautiful abbey is ready towards Connemara’s rugged panorama.
- Belleek Fort, County Mayo: Now a luxurious resort, occasion area, and museum. Belleek Fort has been a household residence for many of its existence. Constructed between 1825 and 1831 in a spectacular Neo-Gothic model.
- Dunguaire Fort, County Galway: This picturesque fortress on the shores of Galway Bay is one in all Eire’s most photographed landmarks.
- Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary: A historic web site with a set of medieval buildings, together with a cathedral and spherical tower, set atop a limestone outcrop.
- Doe Fort, County Donegal: This fortress, perched on the coast, gives beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean and the encompassing countryside.
Eire has 1,970 miles of shoreline, a rustic with this a lot shoreline is sure to be full of gorgeous seashores. There are such a lot of hidden little seashores alongside Eire’s Wild Atlantic Method. The chilly waters of the Atlantic Ocean nevertheless are likely to scare folks away leaving the seashores comparatively empty.
You’ll discover rocky seashores within the southern a part of the Atlantic Coast. In the meantime, in County Sligo, you discover massive flat expanses of gorgeous sand. Right here you’ll usually discover daring surfers taking up the wild Atlantic.
Greatest Locations to Expertise Empty Seashores in Eire
Enniscrone Seaside in County Sligo is a superb, flat seaside that’s good for lengthy seaside walks. Moreover, this is likely one of the finest newbie browsing seashores in Eire. There are a variety of surf colleges on this space.
Inch Seaside in County Kerry is well-liked with surfers, anglers, and swimmers. It is a Blue Flag Seaside, with lifeguards in the course of the summer season season. You’ll additionally discover surf colleges, water sports activities gear, and wetsuit rent.
Keem Seaside in County Mayo on Achill Island is usually given the title of Eire’s finest seaside. Its recognition has elevated because the launch of the film Banshees of Inisherin the place it had a ‘starring position.’
Another lovely Irish seashores to go to:
- Portsalon Seaside in Donegal
- Streedagh Seaside in Sligo
- Silver Strand in Mayo County
- Canine’s Bay in Galway
Eire’s Distinctive Karst Landscapes
Image this: you’re standing within the coronary heart of County Clare on the west coast of Eire. The rugged panorama unfolds earlier than your eyes like an historical tapestry woven by Mom Nature herself. Welcome to the Burren, the place limestone is king and rocks reign supreme.
The Burren is primarily composed of carboniferous limestone. A sort of rock fashioned round 350 million years in the past when Eire was a part of a tropical ocean flooring. Discuss local weather change.
The Burren additionally boasts some critically spectacular karst landscapes. Karst refers to a sort of terrain characterised by sinkholes and underground drainage programs. In less complicated phrases: a number of holes and caves good for adventurous souls.
Greatest Place to See Karst Landscapes
Burren Nationwide Park is the proper place to expertise the Karst panorama. Huge expanses of flat slabs resemble one thing out of an alien panorama. There you are able to do hikes, and go caving.
No matter you do, don’t miss the Poulnabrone Dolmen – a prehistoric megalithic monument. It is likely one of the most well-known and well-preserved dolmens in Eire. It’s thought of a major archaeological and historic web site, so it’s a must-see. The Poulnabrone Dolmen consists of a big, flat capstone balanced on two upright stones, forming a type of portal-like construction. The monument is believed to this point again to the Neolithic interval, round 3800 to 3200 BCE. Poulnabrone Dolmen itself contained the stays of a number of people, together with adults and kids.
Hike the Burren Method. This multi-day hike takes you thru the perfect of the Karst landscapes in County Clare. Not solely does it undergo Burren Nationwide Park, however it additionally goes by the well-known Cliffs of Moher (the easiest way to see the Cliffs of Moher is to hike them!). You keep in small villages like the lovable city of Doolin. There you possibly can take heed to conventional Irish music and benefit from the locals. I hiked a portion of the Burren Method on one in all my visits. To today, it is likely one of the most memorable landscapes I’ve seen on the earth.
See Them All Alongside the Wild Atlantic Method
The best option to see all of those beautiful landscapes is to easily drive the Wild Atlantic Way. It’s a bucket listing vacation spot by itself, showcasing the dramatic Irish panorama. I set free gasps greater than as soon as as I rounded corners alongside the Wild Atlantic Method.
This lengthy coastal route stretches alongside Eire’s western and northern coasts, spanning over 1,500 miles (roughly 2,500 kilometers). There are quite a few cliffs, pristine seashores, and charming coastal villages to discover alongside the route. Every cease alongside the way in which presents a singular and memorable expertise for any nature fanatic and journey seeker. I drove the Wild Atlantic Way solo and it was top-of-the-line highway journeys I’ve taken.
Greatest Locations to Cease Alongside the Wild Atlantic Method
- Cliffs of Moher, County Clare
- Dingle Peninsula, County Kerry
- Ring of Kerry, County Kerry
- Connemara, County Galway
- Skellig Islands, County Kerry
- The Burren, County Clare
- Downpatrick Head, County Mayo
- County Donegal – Glenveagh Nationwide Park, Slieve League, Fanad Head
- Achill Island, County Mayo
- Ben Bulben, County Sligo
- Big’s Causeway, County Antrim
See Eire’s Spectacular Landscapes For Your self!
I take you to many of those locations on my Ottsworld Excursions I do in Eire. You possibly can see the most recent Ireland tours I’m running here.
If my Ottsworld Eire excursions don’t coincide along with your journey plans, then make sure you try Ireland Walk Hike Bike’s various tours across the Emerald Isle. This native firm is the one I take advantage of to design my excursions and they’re like household to me!
Plus – for those who use the code OttsWorld2023, you’ll get 5% off your journey!
Listed here are a few of their excursions that undergo the Irish panorama I’ve talked about:
And eventually – I’ll depart you with just a few of my different favourite Eire landscapes that don’t essentially match into these different teams. I hope you’ll be impressed to go see these landscapes in Eire your self!
5 Journey Necessities on your Eire Journey
- Klean Kanteen 16oz (w/ Café Cap)
- Eagle Creek Packing Organizers
- Wallaroo Hats
- Peak Design Tech Pouch
One of many issues I like about Klean Kanteen is that they’ve a system the place you actually simply must buy one insulated bottle after which use their interchangeable caps on your totally different wants; caps for sipping drinks, straws lids for chilly drinks, or chug caps. One bottle is basically all you want!
I earn a fee for those who click on this hyperlink and make a purchase order, at no further value to you.
10/03/2023 05:32 pm GMT
Packing organizers are the important thing to packing happiness – they flip your bag into a chunk of furnishings. I take advantage of mine to prepare my several types of garments, identical to I’d a dresser; one has t-shits, one has pants, one has sweaters. You get the thought – it’s packing bliss. I take advantage of and love Eagle Creek packing options.
I earn a fee for those who click on this hyperlink and make a purchase order, at no further value to you.
I really like all of their types and usually all the time have at the least 2 of their totally different hats with me on each journey I take! All of their types provide very good solar safety. The Pores and skin Most cancers Basis recommends the fabric of each Wallaroo hat with a UPF score and a 3+ inch brim as an efficient UV protectant. Plus – they’ve so many modern types!
Use my Low cost code, OTTSWORLD20, for an additional 20% common priced gadgets!
I earn a fee for those who click on this hyperlink and make a purchase order, at no further value to you.
Whether or not storing cables, on a regular basis gear, or journey necessities, Tech Pouch presents unequalled group and ease of entry. Origami-style pockets create huge spatial effectivity, letting you pack extra right into a smaller area whereas preserving your gadgets neatly organized and straightforward to search out.
Disclosure: A part of my Wild Atlantic Method Street Journey was sponsored by Failte Eire. Nonetheless, the entire opinions listed below are my very own.