Are you a huge fan of seeing films? Have you found the power of learning English through movies? Do you wish to speak about all the great movies you see with your English-speaking pals, however you do not understand where to begin?
Movies are a terrific subject to assist you begin utilizing all the grammar and vocabulary you’ve been working so tough to discover.
I’m going to provide you the vocabulary you require to hone your English speaking skills and ask concerns, along with provide your viewpoint about films. You can utilize these words and expressions with your English speaking pals, your language partner, with coworkers at a work occasion or perhaps in your English class.
Tips for Talking About Movies
- Prepare what you wish to state. As you see a motion picture, consider the concerns in this post throughout the movie. Keep in mind after (or throughout) the film to respond to the concerns so that when you discover yourself in a conversation about movies, you’re prepared.
- Talk about the various parts of a motion picture. Apart from the plot (what the film has to do with), you can likewise speak about the stars you like, the cinematography (creative appearances), the director, and so on. You can even compare the film you’re seeing to other films you’ve seen that are comparable.
- I choose ” The Lord of the Rings”
- over ” Harry Potter.”
Don’t ruin the ending.
When you’re speaking about films, do not state what takes place at the end! Your speaking partner may wish to go be and see the film amazed or amused like you were. Please do not ruin it by informing them the ending, even if you’re thrilled!
Keep it short and easy. When somebody asks you a concern,
- You just have to speak a couple of sentences. And keep in mind that asking concerns is likewise part of the art of discussion. Listen, ask concerns and keep your responses brief. Essential Vocabulary to Know and Use
- Let’s begin by speaking about some words that are very important to comprehend (and usage) in your discussions about the films you like (or do not like). Movie categories
- Was the last film you saw an action film or a romantic funny? Specify in your description by utilizing the vocabulary listed below! Action
- — Movies made with battling, chasing, arguing and violence in basic. (Examples: “Indiana Jones, “Lethal Weapon,” “Mission Impossible”) Animated
- — Movies that are drawn and made into animations. (Examples: “Finding Nemo,” “Up” and other Disney and Pixar films) Comedy
- — Movies that make you laugh. (Examples: “The Hangover,” “Blazing Saddles,” “Annie Hall”) Documentary
- — Movies made to notify you about a particular concern utilizing interviews, truths and other journalistic methods. (Examples: “Food, Inc.,” “An Inconvenient Truth,” “13th”) Drama
- — Movies that are severe, unfortunate which are typically about a particular concern or love. (Examples: “Precious,” “Crash,” “Good Will Hunting”) Historical
- — Usually remarkable, these films are made to reveal a particular period. (Examples: “12 Years a Slave,” “Titanic,” “Hurt Locker”) Horror
- — Movies that are frightening or “gory,” which’s filled with blood and violence. (Examples: “The Shining,” “The Silence of the Lambs,” “Saw”) Independent (Indie) movies
- — Movies that were not made by huge, Hollywood studios or are more creative in regards to style and visuals. (Example: “Lost in Translation,” “Memento,” “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”) Thriller
— These films resemble scary films, however they’re more “mentally” frightening. (Examples: ” Don’t Breathe,” “American Psycho,” “Seven”)
Romantic funny (in some cases described as “rom-com”)– Movies about love that are made to be enjoyable and light-hearted or not really severe. (Examples: “The Wedding Planner,” “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days,” “Valentine’s Day”) Science fiction
- — Or “sci-fi,” this category is typically embeded in the future and has characters who are aliens or extraterrestrials. (Examples: “Star Trek,” “Interstellar,” “Star Wars”) Types of films
- We desire you to be prepared when you hear these words! They appear from time to time and can alter somebody’s description of the film. You may hear, “The movie was a remake
- of the initial 1960 film, however I liked it much better! Sequel
— The 2nd part of a set of films or a motion picture that continues the exact same story as another film that came before it. (Examples: “Spider-Man 2,” “Toy Story 2,” “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”)
- — A series of films with 3 parts. (Examples: “The Lord of the Rings,” “The Matrix,” “The Godfather”) New release
- — Movies that are displaying in theater today. Remakes
- — Notice the prefix “re” which indicates “once again,” and the verb “make.” Actually, this word indicates “to make once again.” These are films that have actually been made before and are recreated, however with some updates. Lots of films nowadays are remakes. (Examples: “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “The Departed,” “The Magnificent 7”) Descriptive words
Sometimes the words “excellent” and “bad” simply are insufficient to explain a movie. Here are some words you may discover beneficial when you’re attempting to inform somebody about the movie:
- Some synonyms for “bad” — terrible, awful, uninteresting, foreseeable, overrated
- Some synonyms for “excellent” — terrific, well done, amazing, essential, amusing, useful
- Some synonyms to be neutral about a motion picture — alright, fine, so-so, not my preferred
- A couple of other beneficial description words: Award-winning
— A film that has actually won an award like an Oscar or a Golden Globe.
Family-friendlycommon questions and answers— Films that benefit households to see together (no specific product).
— If you hear this, it indicates critics offered the film excellent evaluations.
- — A film that’s gorgeous to see.
- Answers and concerns to Keep the Conversation Going
- You can have a discussion about films by asking and responding to concerns utilizing the vocabulary we discussed. When they talk about films, let’s look at some
individuals utilize. Have you seen any excellent films recently? This concern is inquiring about the films you’ve seen in the previous days, weeks or perhaps months. You can speak about the last film you saw or any other films you saw just recently. Here are some examples of how you can respond to: Yes, I’ve been actually into brief movies. Yes, I simply saw the brand-new Leonardo DiCaprio movie. No, not actually. I choose seeing television. No, I’ve been quite hectic with work. Have you? Notice the structure of a few of the sentences:
- of the verb.
Did you like it?“Blind Vaysha.”
This is a yes or no concern, which indicates you’ll begin your response with either “yes” or “no.” And considering that the concern remains in the previous tense, you need to respond to the concern with the previous tense. Here are some example responses: No, I didn’t like it quite. Remember that “like” is a transitive verb, which indicates you need to utilize a direct item with the verb. You can not state, “Yes, I like.” It should be “Yes, I liked it,” or “Yes, I liked the film.” “It” and “the film” are the direct things. What did you consider the film? This concern is requesting your viewpoint about that film. You can start to respond to the concern by utilizing these expressions:
It was + adjective from above
Here’s an example of a viewpoint about the brief, critically-acclaimed film
I believed that
the film was well done. The method the director utilized animation and paintings made the film visually-stunning.
- I seemed like the music included a great deal of feeling to the film, too.
It was rather fascinating. You can continue the discussion by asking the individual you’re talking with the exact same concern. “What about you? What did you believe? Did you like it?” What was it about? This concern is inquiring about the subject or what took place in the film. Keep in mind not to state the ending when you talk about what took place in the film! You can address this concern in 2 methods, depending upon how you wish to respond to the concern. Describe what took place. For this, you can utilize today easy to stress the action in the story. Here’s an example of how to address it utilizing “Blind Vayasha.” There
- is a lady who
sees just the past through one eye and the future through the other. She can’t see today minute. The film programs her difficulties. Describe the subject.
To speak about the styles of the film, you can explain the essences of the film along with your own analysis. Here’s an example utilizing the previous easy (though you can likewise utilize today simple).
about a lady who
- just the past through one eye and just the future through the other. I really believe it
commenting on our society today and how we do not take the time to be present in the minute.
- Rotten Tomatoes What else would you advise?
- The Oscars In a discussion about films, address this concern by informing your speaking partner what other films you believe they need to see. If you ‘d like to understand what films they believe would be excellent for you,
- Sundance Institute Or you can ask this concern.
- IMDb Here are some examples of how you can address this concern:
- Netflix Since you liked “Blind Vayasha,” I ‘d advise “Waking Life.”
- FluentU Give “Castaway” a shot.
If you liked “Memento,” I believe you ‘d actually like “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.”
I do not understand. If you do not like war films, you may not like “Hurt Locker.” If you desire to keep your discussion on brand-new films fresh, Resources for Talking About MoviesClick here to get a copy. (Download)
Here are some resources you can go to.
— A site that examines all kinds of films, consisting of brand-new releases.FluentU lets you learn English from popular talk shows, catchy music videos and funny commercials— This year’s films that
— A company that highlights independent film makers.
— A site where you can stream films for a month-to-month membership charge. Attempt picking a brand-new film weekly approximately that you constantly have something to speak about.
Remember to begin by thinking of the concerns while you’re seeing that amazing action flick. You’ll be speaking with complete confidence in no time!
Download:download the FluentU app from the iTunes or from the Google Play store
This article is readily available as a portable and practical PDF that you.
can take anywhere.
And One More Thing …(*)
. You need to likewise examine out FluentU if you like discovering English through films and online media. (*), as you can see here:
.(*) If you wish to see it, the FluentU app has most likely got it.(*)
. The FluentU app and site makes it actually simple to see English videos. There are captions that are interactive. That indicates you can tap on any word to see an image, meaning, and beneficial examples.
.(*) FluentU lets you discover appealing material with world well-known stars.(*)
. When you tap on the word “browsing,” you see this:
.(*) FluentU lets you tap to search for any word.(*)
. Discover all the vocabulary in any video with tests. Swipe left or ideal to see more examples for the word you’re discovering.
.(*) FluentU assists you discover quick with numerous examples and beneficial concerns. (*)
. The very best part? FluentU keeps in mind the vocabulary that you’re discovering. When it’s time to examine what you’ve found out, it offers you additional practice with tough words– and advises you. You have a genuinely tailored experience.
(*) . Start utilizing FluentU on the site with your computer system or tablet or, even better, (*). .