Last year, DJI altered the video game concerning Mini drones when they launched the DJI Mini 3 Pro.
They took the majority of the functions users wanted they had in Mini drones, such as challenge avoidance and ActiveTrack, and fit them in a Mini drone while keeping it under 250 grams.
A year later on, DJI has actually shown they have more techniques up their sleeve by launching the DJI Mini 4 Pro, a sub-250-gram drone with a lot more functions.
When the Mini 3 Pro was launched, I was torn in between getting it or the Air two. I compared them here and discussedwhy I chose the Air 2S in this article
But now that we have the Mini 4 Pro, will I make the very same choice? In between the Mini 4 Pro and Air 2S, which is much better?
- Suppose you’re searching for the greatest video and photo quality and do not mind by hand doing some flight modes. The Air two is a great alternative given that it just has four-way challenge avoidance.
- If you value mobility and are searching for a light drone with lots of functions, the Mini 4 Pro is the very best
Read on to discover how these drones compare to each other and which I ‘d pick.
DJI Air 2S introduction
The DJI Air two takes aerial imaging to the next level. It’s customized for experts and lovers who require top-tier content quality.
Whether you’re a filmmaker, professional photographer, or drone lover, this drone raises the bar for image and video capture.
Its crucial selling points consist of:
- Professional-grade imaging with a 1-inch CMOS sensing unit
- Stunning 5.4 K video resolution
- 20 MP stills for remarkable image quality
- Four-way challenge avoidance for security
- Advanced imaging functions and zoom abilities
DJI Mini 4 Pro introduction
The DJI Mini 4 Pro is a game-changer in the world of Mini drones, providing remarkable functions in a compact plan.
Designed for novices, tourists, vloggers, and material developers, it sticks out as a sub-250-gram drone, guaranteeing a problem-free flying experience.
Its noteworthy functions consist of:
- 360-degree challenge avoidance
- Vertical shooting mode
- Impressive video camera choices
- Night Shots mode for boosted night photography
- Extended flight time
Before we enter the nitty-gritty part of our evaluation, let’s summarize who these drones are best for.
- For novices: If you’re a beginner or focus on mobility, ease of usage, and light-weight style, the Mini 4 Pro is an appropriate option. Its stability, maneuverability, and easy to use functions make it an outstanding alternative for beginner pilots.
- For aerial photography and videography experts: If you’re an expert or a lover looking for the greatest video and photo quality, the Air two is the favored option. Its bigger sensing unit, greater resolution, and advanced imaging abilities guarantee exceptional efficiency in recording sensational aerial material.
- For flexibility and moderate wind conditions: If you require a drone that stabilizes efficiency and mobility, the Air two provides dexterity, good stability in moderate winds, and a wide variety of functions, making it a flexible alternative for different applications.
Key separating info
As we will see, both drones are preferably equivalent in some elements, though they vary based upon their target audience and when they were launched.
Let’s take a look at what distinguishes them:
DJI Mini 4 Pro
- This drone is the leading option for users who focus on mobility and ease of usage and are searching for a drone that doesn’t require FAA registration in areas like the USA due to its sub-250-gram weight.
- It’s best for novices, enthusiasts, tourists, vloggers, material developers, and anybody looking for a light-weight buddy for different activities.
- The Mini 4 Pro’s 360-degree challenge avoidance provides a level of safety unrivaled in the Mini drone classification.
DJI Air Two
- On the other hand, the Air two accommodates those who require professional-grade aerial photography and videography.
- If you’re a lover or an expert looking for the greatest quality material, the Air two, with its bigger 1-inch CMOS sensing unit and remarkable 5.4 K video resolution, is the exceptional option.
- Its efficiency in low-light conditions and advanced imaging functions make it perfect for recording sensational visuals.
Before we compare them, let’s present these items and their highlights.
Released in 2021, the Air 2S came as a replacement for the Mavic Air 2. It’s a drone I have actually owned for 9 months and one I have actually pertained to enjoy.
Below are the highlights that affected my choice to pick it over the Mini 3 Pro.
- Larger sensing unit– It includes a 1-inch CMOS sensing unit, which guarantees high image quality.
- 5.4 K optimum video resolution– The Air two likewise soars to 5.4 K, which might be terrific for bigger productions where the first-rate video footage is essential.
- There is likewise an alternative to shoot in 4K, 2.7 K, or 1080p, depending upon what you require to utilize the video footage for.
- 20 MP stills– The bigger sensing unit permits the Air two to take 20 MP stills, which is a sufficient resolution for a wide variety of jobs.
- Four-way challenge avoidance– It features four-direction sensing units, enabling it to spot challenges at the front, upwards, downwards, and back.
- Decent flight time– The AIr two includes a 31-minute flight time, about 25 to 30 minutes of real flying. I have actually utilized it for recording and mapping tasks, and this flight time sufficed, though you need to get a number of batteries.
- Intelligent Flight Modes— Like with the majority of DJI drones, you get Intelligent Flight Modes like Hyperlapse, ActiveTrack, Panoramas, MasterShots, QuickShots, and compatibility with apps like DroneDeploy or Litchi, enabling you to gain access to a lot more functions that are not in the DJI Fy app.
- Enhanced HDR— It supports HDR and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) video, permitting enhanced vibrant variety and low-light efficiency.
- Advanced imaging— It includes sophisticated imaging abilities like 8x digital zoom and Dlog-M 10-bit color profile.
- However, the zooming ability just operates in Normal Mode, not in D-Log or HLG, and just at as much as 4K video resolution.
- Zooming is likewise just offered when shooting videos and not in pictures, and it’s likewise restricted depending upon the resolution.
- You have access to the complete 8X resolution when contending 1080p at 24 or 30 fps, as much as 6X when shooting 1080p at 48 or 60 fps, and it is not offered when shooting 1080p at 120 fps.
- When shooting in 2.7 k, zooming is offered as much as 6X at 24 or 30 fps and as much as 4.2 X when contending 48 or 60 fps.
- When shooting in 4K, zooming is just offered as much as 4.3 X when contending 24 or 30 fps, and zooming is not offered when contending 48 or 60 fps.
The Mini 4 Pro is the latest release from DJI and an upgrade to the Mini drones. Below are the highlights that make it stand apart.
- Sub-250-gram drone– As discussed, this drone falls in the classification of drones weighing less than 250 grams. You can fly this drone without a license and registration in areas like the USA.
- 360-degree challenge avoidance– This is the very first time we get 360-degree challenge avoidance in a Mini drone, which demonstrates how far DJI has actually can be found in their tech.
- They began with the DJI Mini, then the Mini SE, and Mini 2, which worked terrific however didn’t have challenge avoidance.
- Later, they launched the Mini 3 Pro, which prevents challenges however just identifies them in 3 instructions.
- Vertical shooting mode– The Mini 4 Pro includes a vertical shooting mode comparable to the Mini 3 Pro, enabling you to shoot in picture mode. This works terrific for individuals who publish on social networks frequently.
- Gimbal tilt– This drone is likewise developed with much space for gimbal movement, enabling it to tilt 60 degrees up and 90 degrees downward. Now, you can get innovative with your shots.
- 48 MP and 12 MP quality– It includes 48 and 12 MP photography choices. The 48 MP quality is powered by Quad-Bayer. Essentially, the 12 MP is boosted to 48 MP, which varies from having a real 48 MP image.
- D-Log and HLG– It includes D-Log and HLG, which were not available in the Mini 3 Pro, providing you more space for post-processing.
- Decent sensing unit size– DJI didn’t alter the sensing unit size given that the Mini 4 Pro includes the very same f/1.7, 24-mm 1/1.3 CMOS sensing unit that provides an optimal resolution of 4K at 60 fps and 4K 100 fps for slow-motion video footage. The only distinction is that the Mini 4 Pro now supports HDR HLG and D-Log M.
- Enhanced ISO efficiency– The Night Shots Mode enhances the drone’s ISO settings to guarantee much better direct exposure in poorly lit environments. This implies you can catch more information and clearness in your night shots.
- Noise decrease– One of the obstacles of low-light photography is sound. The Mini 4 Pro’s Night Shots Mode uses sound decrease to produce cleaner, more professional-looking images, devoid of the normal graininess of low-light photography.
- Advanced Intelligent Flight Modes– DJI not just included Intelligent Flight Modes however likewise the most recent variations.
- A fine example is ActiveTrack, which permits you to track the topic in more instructions.
- DJI likewise presented a brand-new function, ActiveTrack 360, which permits you to draw the path where the drone will follow you and alter the height and range from you as you please.
- This makes it more smooth to develop cinematic shots.
- Extended flight time– This drone has a 34-minute flight time and an alternative to get a bigger battery with 45 minutes of flight time, though the latter makes the drone much heavier than 250 grams. This battery is offered in choose areas.
Next, let’s evaluate how these drones carry out in different elements.
The Air 2 S and Mini 4 Pro function DJI’s folding style, which you will discover in their newest drones.
One distinction in how they unfold is that with the Mini 4 Pro, you begin by unfolding the rear arms, while with the Air two, you begin with the lower arms.
DJI likewise made a couple of modifications to the gimbal cover and protected the props for storage. Unlike the Air two, where the cover just reviews the video camera, the Mini 4 Pro’s cover is bigger and covers even the front sensing units.
For much better defense when keeping your drone, DJI has actually included a strap that holds the arms and the props in location.
Have you ever attempted to load your drone, and the props got stuck in the bag or snapped? This reliable however basic gadget assists avoid that.
Winner: DJI Mini 4 Pro
Regarding weight, the Mini 4 Pro wins since it fulfills many people’s requirements.
As discussed previously, it weighs less than 250 grams, accommodating those who require a drone and do not wish to get their drone signed up.
It likewise interest tourists, vloggers, material developers, professional athletes, and other users who choose having a little and light drone that they can carry anywhere as they take part in their activities.
However, the Air two is not that heavy.
Weighing 595 grams, bringing it to your outside activities is possible. The weight increases when you include the batteries and other devices.
If you desire the bigger sensing unit and 5.4 K shooting ability and would not mind the weight, then the Air two is an excellent option.
If your activities do not include bring the drone, you can pick in between the 2 based upon other functions.
Besides mobility, weight does have other ramifications. If it crashes, a much heavier drone like the Air Two holds up against winds much better however is likewise quickly harmed.
On the other hand, a lighter drone like the Mini 4 Pro will not run well in strong winds, however in case of a crash, the lower weight decreases the effect.
” MORE: Best 4K Drones Under 250 Grams
Winner: DJI Mini 4 Pro
The Mini 4 Pro comes at the very same cost as the Mini 3 Pro: $759 for the drone, the DJI RC-N2 controller, and one battery.
The Mini 4 Pro with the DJI RC 2 controller and integrated screen expenses $959.
DJI has 2 Fly More Combos for the Mini 4 Pro; one consists of 3 34-minute batteries and expenses $1,099, and one consists of 3 45-minute batteries and expenses $1,159.
On the other hand, the Air 2S’s fundamental plan consists of one battery, which costs $999, while the Fly More Combo consists of 3 batteries, a handbag, ND filters, and a charging center, which costs $1,299.
As you can see, you get more by choosing the Mini 4 Pro, however the $300 or two distinction is one to ignore if you seem like the Air 2S has the functions you’ll require.
Both drones are offered from DJI’s site and other eCommerce platforms.
” MORE: Best Camera Drones Under $2,000
Winner: DJI Air Two
Both these drones have a lot to use when it concerns image and video recording.
Below are their distinctions and resemblances.
- Advanced imaging modes– Both drones assistance sophisticated imaging modes and settings, consisting of color profiles like D-Log and HLG, supplying higher post-processing and color grading versatility.
- HDR abilities– Both cams support High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging, enabling and enhancing the vibrant variety for much better efficiency in difficult lighting conditions, such as dark shadows and brilliant skies.
- Obstacle avoidance systems– While the particular innovation might vary, both drones are equipped with obstacle avoidance systems to improve security throughout flights.
- Intelligent Flight Modes– Both drones use a range of Intelligent Flight Modes, such as ActiveTrack, QuickShots, and Hyperlapse, making recording cinematic and vibrant shots easier.
- Zoom abilities– Both drones have Zoom abilities. The Air two offers as much as 8x digital zoom, while the Mini 4 Pro likewise has zooming choices, depending upon the resolution and frame rate.
- Sensor size– The most considerable distinction is the sensing unit size. The Air two includes a bigger 1-inch CMOS sensing unit, adding to greater image quality and much better low-light efficiency than the Mini 4 Pro’s smaller sized sensing unit.
- Night Mode– While the Mini 4 Pro has a smaller sized sensing unit, the devoted Night Mode enhances its efficiency for night shots or low-light conditions.
- The jury is still out on whether it carries out the very same or perhaps much better as a drone with a bigger sensing unit without the Night Mode function, however it’s an excellent function on a Mini drone.
- Maximum video resolution– The Air two can tape video as much as 5.4 K, providing more higher-resolution and in-depth video footage than the Mini 4 Pro, which has an optimal resolution of 4K.
- Still photo resolution– The Mini 4 Pro provides 48 MP and 12 MP choices for still pictures, while the Air two offers 20 MP stills. The Mini 4 Pro’s 48 MP alternative utilizes Quad-Bayer innovation to improve the image, supplying more versatility.
- Vertical shooting mode– The Mini 4 Pro includes a vertical shooting mode, enabling users tocapture content in portrait orientation This is particularly helpful for social networks lovers and content developers.
- Flight time– The Mini 4 Pro provides a somewhat longer flight time, as much as 34 minutes, compared to the Air 2S’s 31 minutes. In addition, the Mini 4 Pro has an alternative for a bigger battery with as much as 45 minutes of flight time, though it might impact its sub-250 gram category in some areas.
- 360-degree challenge avoidance– The Mini 4 Pro boasts 360-degree challenge avoidance, supplying security in all instructions, while the Air two provides four-way challenge avoidance.
- Zoom constraints– The zoom abilities vary in between the 2 drones. The Air two offers zooming choices as much as 8x digital zoom. On the other hand, the Mini 4 Pro provides zooming as much as 4X.
The primary distinctions in between the 2 cams are the sensing unit size, optimum video resolution, and still photo resolution.
The Air two masters image quality and resolution, making it better for expert photographyand videography
Meanwhile, the Mini 4 Pro provides special functions such as vertical shooting, night shooting, extended flight time, and 360-degree challenge avoidance, making it an enticing option for those who focus on these abilities and worth its light-weight style.
” MORE: DJI Air 3 Review
Winner: DJI Mini 4 Pro
One thing about DJI is that they are constantly attempting to enhance their drones in different elements. And among these elements is the variety.
The Air two features the OcuSync 3.0, a substantial enhancement at the time of its release, providing a variety of as much as 7.5 miles.
Having flown the DJI Air 2S for a very long time now, I can confirm that the connection is fairly steady, though if there is excessive disturbance, the live feed separate a bit, and in some cases you lose the connection completely.
But this has actually just occurred to me a couple of times, and in locations with less disturbance, I might send out the drone as much as 4 kilometers away.
The Mini 4 Pro features the latest OcuSync 4.0, which we initially saw in the Air 3.
This brand-new system assures a variety of as much as 12 miles and features more better antennas and much better anti-interference innovations compared to older drones like the Air 2S so that it would carry out much better in short-range and long flights.
Besides, despite the fact that you might attempt to fly the drone for 12 miles, it most likely would not make it due to the battery life.
This user attempted to check the drone’s optimum variety and might fly it as much as 4 miles before the connection began separating, and he likewise got a notice to RTH due to low battery levels.
Bear in mind that he was utilizing the 45-minute battery.
Both drones utilize comparable controllers, however the variations vary. The Air two features the DJI RC-N1, a controller suitable with the previous Air, Mavic, and Mini drones.
DJI later on made it suitable with the DJI RC, which initially included the Mini 3 Pro that includes an integrated screen, getting rid of the requirement to utilize a smart device.
Both controllers are comfy in your hands, to state the least. The RC-N1 is an affordable alternative and a great option for individuals who do not mind streaming the drone’s live feed utilizing their smart devices.
But if you wish to get your drone in the air as quick as possible and do not desire any background apps running as you utilize your drone, the DJI RC is a great alternative.
The Mini 4 Pro now features the RC-N2, an updated variation of the RC-N1, and the DJI RC 2, an updated variation of the DJI RC.
The more recent controllers feel the very same in your hands as the older ones, however as discussed previously, they have more antennas and are constructed to deal with the DJI O4 system.
There are likewise some not-so-subtle and subtle style distinctions, particularly in between the DJI RC and DJI RC 2.
Besides the additional antennas, DJI appears to have actually changed metal gimbal dials with plastic ones.
They likewise included an additional vent at the back, expanded the range in between the screws, removed the additional USB-C charging port, and got rid of the protective cover over the SD card and USB-C ports.
If you had a lanyard for the DJI RC, you would need to customize its accessory or get a brand-new one to utilize with the DJI RC 2. The DJI RC 2 is likewise 30 grams much heavier, however that distinction does not alter how you feel about both controllers.
However, the screen size, brightness, show quality, and FPS equal, other than that the DJI RC features a cold temperature level screen compared to the warm temperature level screen in the DJI RC.
One distinction you will feel, particularly if you have actually utilized the initial DJI RC, is the faster load speed. Some users grumbled that the DJI RC in some cases took too long to begin or experienced a lag when changing in between cams.
But the DJI RC 2 is much faster, and there’s no lag, thanks to the updated CPU and GPU. These more recent
unless DJI chooses to alter that in a future upgrade.
Intelligent Flight Modes Winner:
DJI Mini 4 ProIntelligent Flight Modes While both featured a thorough list of
, the primary distinctions originate from the truth that the Air two is 2 years older.
As an outcome, it features previous variations of Intelligent Flight Modes.
For circumstances, DJI just recently launched ActiveTrack 5.0 and ActiveTrack 360 with the Mini 4 Pro.
This permits you to follow the drone in more instructions than the Air two, which just permits you to follow the topic in 3 instructions.
Spotlight, Point of Interest, and so on, are likewise updated to the most recent variations. Paired with the 360-degree challenge avoidance, you have more choices to be innovative compared to the Air two.” MORE: DJI Waypoints (Explained for Beginners)
Flight functions and efficiency
Let’s take a look at how these drones compare based upon their flight functions and efficiency.
- Stability and wind resistance DJI Mini 4 Pro–
- Due to its light-weight style, the Mini 4 Pro might have a hard time in strong winds. While it’s extremely portable, it’s less steady in negative climate condition. DJI Air 2S–
The Air two, being somewhat much heavier, tends to be more steady in windy conditions. It can manage moderate winds much better however is still prone to strong gusts.
- Agility and maneuverability DJI Mini 4 Pro–
- The Mini 4 Pro is active and provides exceptional maneuverability. It can carry out nimble motions and fast turns, making it appropriate for recording vibrant shots. DJI Air 2S–
The Air two likewise offers dexterity and maneuverability, permitting innovative aerial motions. While it’s not as light-weight as the Mini 4 Pro, it stays responsive and nimble.” MORE: Drone Safety Features (All You Need to Know)
- Ease of usage DJI Mini 4 Pro–newcomers to drone piloting The Mini 4 Pro is appropriate and beginner-friendly for all experience levels. Its steady and light-weight flight qualities make it simple to manage and a great option for
- . DJI Air 2S–
The Air two is likewise easy to use, with functions like challenge avoidance and smart flight modes that help with uncomplicated and safe flying. While it provides advanced functions, it stays available to novices and knowledgeable pilots.
- Obstacle avoidance DJI Mini 4 Pro–
- The Mini 4 Pro takes a considerable lead in this classification with 360-degree challenge avoidance. It is the very first Mini drone to use full-spectrum challenge detection, guaranteeing security from all instructions. DJI Air Two
— While the Air 2S has a capable four-way challenge avoidance system (front, upwards, downwards, and back), it disappoints the Mini 4 Pro’s thorough 360-degree challenge avoidance.” MORE: Best Drones with Obstacle Avoidance
- Flight time DJI Mini 4 Pro–
- The Mini 4 Pro provides a longer flight time, as much as 34 minutes, on a single battery. There’s likewise an alternative for a bigger battery that extends flight time to 45 minutes (offered in choose areas). DJI Air 2S–
The Air two offers a good 31-minute flight time, equating to around 25 to 30 minutes in real flying conditions. While decent, it drags the Mini 4 Pro in this element.
- Flight variety DJI Mini 4 Pro–
- Equipped with OcuSync 4.0, the Mini 4 Pro boasts an excellent series of as much as 12 miles. Real-world flights are not likely to reach this optimum variety due to battery constraints. DJI Air TwoOcuSync 3.0 system— The Air two includes the
, supplying a good series of as much as 7.5 miles. While still outstanding, the Mini 4 Pro has a more prolonged variety ability.
Best SD cards for these drones
Once you have actually selected among these drones, below are the SD cards you ought to utilize with them.
There are lots of brand names of SD cards out there, however these ought to assist you in what you ought to be searching for.” MORE: Understanding SD Cards for Drones (Explained For Beginners)
Best SD cards for the DJI Air Two” MORE: What SD Card Do I Need for DJI Air 2S?
Best SD cards for the DJI Mini 4 Pro” MORE: SD Cards for DJI Drones (What You Need to Know)